Greetings Digital GC, and welcome back!
May your winter breaks have been cheerful, restful, and productive.
As you transition back to your semesterly schedule, let us remind and update you about all the ways that GCDI is here to support you and your scholarship.
The GC Digital Fellows are offering individual consultations this semester. Faculty and students at the Graduate Center are invited to request a consultation with the Digital Fellows to seek conceptual direction and technical advice for their digital research and pedagogy projects. Each consultation meeting typically lasts 30 to 40 minutes and is conducted via video or phone call. Request a consultation by filling out this form!
We also encourage you to prepare for your consultation so you can get the most out of this opportunity. Review the tips outlined in this post.
Special Interest Working Groups
We have several groups for people with targeted interests who seek to convene with scholars working with similar methods and tools. These interdisciplinary student groups share resources, advice and opportunities online through the CUNY Academic Commons, Slack, and Zoom.
Python Users’ Group (PUG), R Users’ Group (RUG), Data Visualization Working Group (DVG), Sound Studies and Methods Working Group and the Digital Archives Research Collective (DARC) have regular meetings this semester.
Their schedules are as follows:
- PUG, Fridays, 3:30pm to 5:00pm, including: 3/5, 3/19, 4/16, 4/30, 5/14
- RUG, Fridays, 1:00pm to 2:30pm, including: 3/5, 3/19, 4/16, 4/30, 5/14
- DARC’s meeting dates for the Spring 2021 semester will be announced shortly. Please join our group on the CUNY Academic Commons to stay abreast of our future meeting dates.
- DVG will be meeting this semester! Stay tuned on our Commons page to get notified of our future meeting dates.
- The Sound Studies and Methods working group will be meeting this Spring semester! We meet once a month beginning late Feb/early March. In the meantime, if you are interested in exploring and sharing all things related to sound and audio, please join us over on our commons group to keep up with us. As we continue to build our community, folx are always welcome to post questions, share resources, and support each other via our forum in the meantime.
Our workshops will fire up again in March! Keep an eye out on our workshop calendar for the latest updates. In the meantime, check out this blogpost for some asynchronous workshops we posted online last August!
Our annual GCDI Showcase will be hosted on May 13th, from 6:30 – 8:30 PM. The event will be online, where participants will showcase their digital projects in lightning talks followed by discussion. This is a great opportunity for you to share your work and/or learn more about how the GC community is using digital methods and tools to extend their scholarship in new and exciting directions. This will be our second online hosting of the event- our first was a blast! Be on the lookout for a call to participate and an invitation to attend which will out soon!
The GCDI website is a great resource for you. Here you can learn more about the GCDI, the students, faculty and staff, and centers that fall under its umbrella and about the different ways you can be a part of the GCDI community. You can also view our Calendar to stay up-to-date with monthly happenings, learn more about our projects, including Manifold, our latest digital publishing platform, and the CUNY Academic Commons, an academic social network for community- and web-building, access a digital resource guide created by past and present GC Digital Fellows, peruse DH and digital scholarship news from around the GC and beyond, and more.
Please, don’t hesitate to contact the Digital Fellows with questions!
With best wishes for a productive semester,
your Digital Fellows,
Filipa, Olivia, Rafa, Stefano, Yuxiao, Di, Connor, and Param
Source: Welcome Back!