- This event has passed.
How to See 1 Billion Images?
November 29, 2017 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
I will show selected recent projects that address different research questions:
– How do our cities look on Instagram? Analysis of 7.5 million Instagram photos shared in Manhattan together with Census demographics data (Inequaligram)
– How can we navigate a “data city”? Interactive installation representing Broadway street in NYC using 30 million images & data points (On Broadway)
– What can we learn about history of visual culture by using computational and data visualization methods? Analysis of 20,000 photos in MoMA Photography collection.
I will also discuss some of the larger theoretical questions that drive our research:
– How can we “observe” giant cultural universes of both user-generated and professional media content created today, without reducing them to
averages, outliers, or pre-existing categories?
– How can work with large cultural data help us question our stereotypes and assumptions about cultures?
– What would “science of culture” that use computation and big data look like, and what will be its limitations?